January 17, 2012


Another nice quiet night at anchor.

We were just E of the Port Mayaca Lock. Our plans are to spend the day and night at Indiantown Marina.

It was only a couple of hours away and we were there by 9 am. Jim and I tied up to the fuel dock, filled our generator gas cans and the water tank and jugs. Larry anchored in the channel. We had to wait until a couple of boats left so we could get a slip.

Around 10 a big trawler took off and Larry took their spot. A sailboat tied to the dock in front of us was the next to leave and we just walked our boat ahead into his spot.

Jim worked on the automatic bilge pump. It’s in a hard to get at spot but I believe it is working again. (automatically) This pump is in the lowest part of the boat. A packing gland drips every few seconds to keep the packing wet while the shaft is spinning. The bilge pump “automatically” pumps it overboard when ever there is any accumulation. Our shower water also goes into the bilge and it takes care of that too.

While I got all the bedding and clothes washed Jim did some socializing and then took a nap.

Larry and Diane found us a ride to town for groceries.

When we got back I took the pot of chili that was finishing up in the slow cooker, to the gathering area. Larry and Diane joined us for supper and then supplied a “late” birthday cake for Larry. We’re stuffed.

This is the only exciting thing I saw today. This gentleman spent most of the afternoon at the top of his mast.


There are a lot of Canadians that leave their boats here all summer and then spend the winter on them. Indiantown has a DYI yard and a large storage area.

One trawler was put in the water today…”No Snow”…the lady and her husband are from Ottawa, CN and she said it will never see snow. They still have to get the top put on it and a new water pump installed. There is always something to fix, especially if it has been sitting all summer.

I wonder if these two sailboats are traveling together. They look to be similarly fitted out with gear.

Most of the people we’ve talked to are heading to the Keys or the Bahamas.

Since we are tied to the dock and have electricity…I put ribs in the slow cooker to cook all night.  I’m still trying to get them as good as Diane does. We’ll see tomorrow. They’ll finish up as we are cruising.

The last time Diane made them….she gave us a shout and told us to come along side for ribs. Larry had them on a plate, in foil, in a plastic grocery bag, hanging on his boat hook….we cruised up along side….slowly….and I took the bag of the hook….we’ve done this several times with food. Larry said we need a picture of it….but it takes 2 to drive and 2 for the hand off….no body left for the camera.


No comments: